We have enjoyed learning about Florence Nightingale! She is a wonderful picture of selfless service to others in the face of great risk to herself. This is a trait that we’d like to grow in and to pass on to our children.
There is a poem written by Henry Wadworth Longfellow, entitled “Saint Filomena”, about Florence Nightingale which we are going to put up on the wall of our daughters’ room along with the picture below…
Whene’er a noble deed is wrought,
Whene’er is spoken a noble thought,
Our hearts, in glad surprise,
To higher levels rise.
The tidal wave of deeper souls
Into our inmost being rolls,
And lifts us unawares
Out of all meaner cares.
Honour to those whose words or deeds
Thus help us in our daily needs,
And by their overflow
Raise us from what is low!
Thus thought I, as by night I read
Of the great army of the dead,
The trenches cold and damp,
The starved and frozen camp, -
The wounded from the battle-plain,
In dreary hospitals of pain,
The cheerless corridors,
The cold and stony floors.
Lo! in that house of misery
A lady with a lamp I see
Pass through the glimmering gloom,
And flit from room to room.
And slow, as in a dream of bliss,
The speechless sufferer turns to kiss
Her shadow, as it falls
Upon the darkening walls.
As if a door in heaven should be
Opened and then closed suddenly,
The vision came and went,
The light shone and was spent.
On England’s annals, through the long
Hereafter of her speech and song,
That light its rays shall cast
From portals of the past.
A Lady with a Lamp shall stand
In the great history of the land,
A noble type of good,
Nor even shall be wanting here
The palm, the lily, and the spear,
The symbols that of yore
Saint Filomena bore.
Isn’t that beautifully written!
Here are some great resources that we used when learning about Florence Nightingale:
- A lovely Florence Nightingale paper doll with petticoat and dress – which I printed at 150% – nice and large. Our girls loved playing with them. Here is the doll and petticoat and the dress.
- A fun interactive page for children on Florence Nightingale.
- Florence Nightingale crossword puzzle.
- A wonderful printable download with pictures, life story and more of Florence Nightingale including a wonderful colouring page of her serving in the hospital. I can’t find where this comes from – and there is not link on it as to where I downloaded it from. If you know please tell me so I can give credit for the wonderful pack! In the meantime, here it is: Florence Nightingale info pack
- Florence Nightingale Lesson Plan
We are so blessed to have History to learn from!
“For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only [use] not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.” Galatians 5v13